Student Information and Announcements
Virtual Clubs for 2020 - 2021
Due to Remote Learning, all clubs meetings will be help on line using one o the DOE approved platforms (i.e. Zoom, Teams, or Meets.)
Each club must have a LaGuardia Arts teacher as its advisor. Club meetings cannot be held until after the teacher's work day is complete, so please be very respectful and considerate of each teacher's time and contribution.
The advisor must be 'present' for the entirety of each meeting. The advisor may designate a students as a co-host so that club members may be brought in from the Waiting Room.
All clubs must submit an application each year. This allows us to verify that the club has an advisor and what day and time the club meets. Club Applications must be submitted by Friday, October 2, 2020.
Club meetings last 1 hour.
This is the Club Application process as outlined in Chancellor's Regulations A-601.
In order to receive a charter, each student club and/or organization must:
• be initiated by a group of interested students;
• have a purpose which is consistent with the school’s educational goals;
• have a faculty advisor who is a licensed Department of Education pedagogue;
• be approved by the student government;
• be approved by the principal who shall be the final arbiter in the chartering process.
This form will help you submit all of the required information for forming a club. All clubs charters must be approved annually.
A faculty member must be present at all club meetings.
A club must be approved by the SGO at an official meeting prior to the club being able to hold meetings.
SGO "Remind" Codes -- Stay Informed with Timely Push Notifications
The Student Government has set up a means of communicating with students through use of a platform called Remind. Remind is an app that allows students to stay up to date on important school information such as upcoming events and links to useful materials.
Class presidents send messages through their respective Reminds that give students push notifications alerting them of this information. We ask that each student join the Remind corresponding with their grade (ex. 9th graders would join the Freshman Remind) To join, you can either a) download the app and create an account or b) go to remind.com, where there is an option to sign up on the front page.
Once signed up, you can join the Remind by entering in your class code. This can also be done by texting the class code to 81010.
We hope that this messaging system helps to improve communication between the Student Government and we encourage students and their families to check the LaGuardia school website as well for other crucial information. We wish you all a great start to the new school year, and can’t wait to make a difference as this year’s SGO!
Links and Policies
Recording Community Service Hours in x2VOL
To access x2VOL, the software program where we record our community service hours, we must first log into Naviance. Once you are in Naviance, you click on the “x2VOL” button at the bottom of the page and you will be redirected to the x2VOL site.
For first time users, verify your Month/Year of Birth, Gender, Mobile Phone, and preferred email. Click “Proceed” and Skip the next page.
Now you are on the Main Dashboard of x2VOL.
There are basically 2 types of Volunteer opportunities:
- you use x2VOL to register
- you do not use x2VOL to register
It does not matter whether the activity took place for LaGuardia or not. It matters whether or not you use x2VOL to register.
- If you are looking to Register for an activity (you heard or read, “Sign Up on x2VOL), you click the “Find Opportunities” button.
- If you did not sign up on x2VOL, everything else (school service, too) gets put into “Add Hours”.
Create a New Personal Project (This is used for EVERYTHING if you did not sign up for the event on Naviance, including auditions, etc.)
- Write the name of the activity and a brief description e.g. tutoring or ushering
- You do not need to attach any file. You could upload a letter of recommendation.
- Input the Name, Phone, and Email of the person who will receive an email and verify you completed the hours. This often a teacher, AP, or outside event leader.
- Submit. The Activity Contact person will receive an email verifying your hours.
What happens next?
Your Activity Contact Person will be sent an email to verify that you completed the activity and the hours are correct. They answer the email, and then the verification sits in the x2VOL que. The school will review the hours and then approve them. The approval is generally done once a semester – it is the verification that is important.
Can we count hours from last year?
Yes. It is the same process for entering hours; however, please let the Activity Contact Person know they will be receiving an email from Naviance and that they can make the connection with you.
Who do we contact if we have questions?
Ms. Hobot, Guidance Secretary, in Room 235.