Assistance with Submitting Your Audition or Questions About the Common Audition Components
LaGuardia Arts and other audition-based high schools do not have access to applicant’s myschools.nyc accounts. This is all handled through the DOE.
If you are having trouble with uploading your audition or questions about the process, here are the best resource to assist families:
LaGuardia, just like other audition-based high schools, uses the common audition components for the virtual audition. All questions regarding the actual audition should be addressed to the contacts listed above. Thank you.
UPDATED: January 22, 2021: Current NYCDOE public school students must submit their audition using the Virtual Audition Submission Tool using their NYC Students account. Current private school, parochial school, charter school, and home-schooled students who don't have DOE log-in credentials: Please submit audition materials by emailing VirtualAuditionSubmissionTool@NYCDOE.onmicrosoft.com
Adjusted Audition Process Due to COVID-19 Safety Concerns
(REVISED February 10, 2021)
Any 8th grade or first-time 9th grade student (who lives in NYC) can apply to any/all of the programs at LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and the Performing Arts by registering to audition and then submitting audition materials online.
- The deadline to register for the Specialized High School Admission Test (SHSAT) was January 15, 2021. Please note that LaGuardia Arts does not admit students via the SHSAT.
- The deadline to submit the High School Application is March 1, 20201. Please note that LaGuardia Arts does not admit students via the High School Application.
- The deadline to register for an audition at LaGuardia Arts is March 1, 2021. You must register to be considered for admission to LaGuardia Arts.
- The deadline to submit your virtual audition files for all audition programs is March 8, 2021. (Updated) You must submit virtual audition files to be considered for admission to all audition programs, including LaGuardia Arts and audition programs that admit students via the High School Application.
o Families can log into MySchools (myschools.nyc) to register their child for LaGuardia High School auditions. When they do, they will indicate which programs their child will audition for. Students can audition for one or up to all six of the programs at LaGuardia High School.
o To support families who are not able to log into MySchools to register their own child for LaGuardia High School auditions, school counselors can register any of their current students in MySchools (myschools.nyc). When school counselors register any of their current students for LaGuardia High School auditions, they will also be asked to indicate the program(s) the student will audition for.
o For families that have registered themselves, school counselors can update any student’s registration and/or confirm that these students are registered by accessing their receipt in the school-facing MySchools site (myschools.nyc).
- Audition this winter. All high school auditions—including for LaGuardia High School—will take place virtually this year.
o To audition, students will submit audition files through a new Virtual Audition Submission Tool, and school counselors can also submit files through this tool on behalf of their current students. This tool will open in early January; we will notify schools and families when you can access it, and we will share detailed instructions with school staff at that time.
o Updated requirements for audition programs are available here; these will be posted in the MySchools directory in the coming weeks. These will help students prepare for their virtual auditions, even before the Virtual Audition Submission Tool is open.
Private school staff and students without access to DOE Office 365 or TeachHub (including charter schools and parochial schools): will submit auditions online for most programs to the following email address- VirtualAuditionSubmissionTool@NYCDOE.onmicrosoft.com.
Resources for schools and families:
- Learn more about admissions to the Specialized High Schools at schools.nyc.gov/SHS.
- Watch our video series: schools.nyc.gov/HSVideos.
- Families can register for the SHSAT and LaGuardia High School auditions at myschools.nyc.
- For access to MySchools, families need their child’s Welcome Letter. School staff should continue supporting families by providing them with their child’s Welcome Letter as needed. Students’ Welcome Letters can be found in the school-facing MySchools site (myschools.nyc).
- Instructions for families to submit students’ audition is in your SharePoint resource folder.
- The Office of Arts and Special Projects has prepared audition preparation videos that dive into the common audition components and provide tips for how students can present their best work.
- As part of the common audition components, the Office of Arts and Special Projects worked with high school arts teachers to develop the following resources (also imbedded in the High School Auditions webpage and the Virtual Audition Submission Tool):
High School Admissions Links
Audition-Specific Schools Links
Applying to LaGuardia Arts
Updated February 10, 2020
Only New York City residents who are in the 8th or 9th grade are eligible to audition. There are no exceptions. A child's current guidance counselor can assist with the application process. Families may also apply via myschools.nyc.
LaGuardia Arts offers Dance (Ballet and Modern Dance Programs), Instrumental Music, Technical Theatre, Theater: Drama, Visual Arts: Fine Arts, and Vocal Music. Students may audition for as many programs as they feel qualified for.
Admissions to LaGuardia is governed by the New York State Calandra-Hecht Bill (1971): Candidates for admission to the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music and the Arts and other schools which may be established with similar programs in the arts, shall be required to pass competitive examinations in music and/or the arts in addition to presenting evidence of satisfactory achievement.
For candidates applying for entry for September 2021: In addition to your virtual audition, students must show evidence of satisfactory achievement. In order to be eligible to receive an offer to LaGuardia, students must have an average of 75 across 2018-19 final grades and an average of 75 across 2019-20 marking period grades in core courses. LaGuardia will not evaluate test scores. To see if your child meets the minimum requirements, visit your child’s profile on MySchools and review the grades listed for 2018-19 and 2019-20. (Language Clarification)
Families are asked on mySchools.nyc to double-check their records and ensure extenuating circumstances are noted.
Applying to High School Video Series
In New York City, students apply to high school during their 8th grade year. Current first-time 9th grade students can also apply to programs with 10th grade seats. Learn more by watching our video series from High School Admissions. We placed them at the bottom of this page.
Happening Now! Apply to High School by February 23
The application for students entering high school in fall 2021 is open, and the deadline to apply is February 23, 2021. You can apply to 12 programs with your personalized high school application. NOTE: Auditioning to LaGuardia Arts does NOT count towards the 12 schools you can apply to.
Creating your own MySchools account lets you explore high school program options, build your application, and apply online.
To access your MySchools account and application you'll need both of the following:
- Your unique MySchools account creation code, included in your high school welcome letter; these letters were mailed to all current 5th grade public DOE and charter school families in mid-December
- Your student ID number (OSIS number).
Have questions or need support?
- Talk to your current school counselor. They will be your guide throughout the admissions process.
- If you attend a private or parochial school or are currently homeschooled, contact a Family Welcome Center.