End of Semester Update 1.19.22
Dear LaGuardia Community,
We hope this message finds you and your family safe and healthy. As the fall semester comes to an end we are updating you with some logistical details:
Pupilpath/Skedula Partially Restored
As of this morning, all students and parents/guardians should be able to log into the web and app versions of Pupilpath; all faculty/staff have access to the web and app versions of Skedula/iOEducation. Please note that some functions, such as email messaging and password reset, are not fully operational. We thank you for your patience and understanding with this third-party software glitch.
Regents Week Special Activities Schedule
Friday, January 21, is the last day of the marking period.
Monday, January 24, is the last day of scheduled classes for the semester. We will be on a Conference Bell Schedule for students and teachers to wrap up their classes for the semester.
Tuesday, January 25-Friday, January 28, we will be running a Regents Week Special Schedule.
- Students will participate in activities by grade, art studio, and academic departments.
- Students will attend LaGuardia based on the activities they are scheduled for. Every student’s schedule will be different. Not every student will come to LaGuardia every day.
- Students also have the opportunity, daily, to meet with their teachers during Academic Support/Arts Open Studio sessions. We encourage students with NX’s and students who have been absent to take advantage of this opportunity.
- Every morning before 10am, students must complete a guidance survey using their laguardiahs.org account to be marked present for the day.
- This Regents Week Special Schedule is in draft format and will be finalized at the end of the week with additional details.
Monday, January 31 is a professional development day for faculty/staff. No students are in attendance.
Tuesday, February 1 is Lunar New Year. School buildings are closed.
Wednesday, February 2 is the first day of the Spring Semester. MetroCards will be distributed.
Support for Absent Students
At this time, remote learning continues to not be an option in the NYCDOE. However, any NYCDOE student that has a positive COVID-19 test result, is entitled to instructional materials and access to meet virtually with their teachers. At LaGuardia, we understand there are many other circumstances that can lead to student absences. Teachers work with all students to stay on pace with class work, regardless of their reason for absence. It is important that students who are well enough to complete work stay in direct communication with their teachers. which may include but is not limited to:
- A student is ill
- A student has been in close contact with someone positive for COVID-19
- A student has been directed by a medical professional to assume they have COVID-19, without a confirmation test
- A student is immunocompromised
- A student has an immunocompromised family member
Again we encourage students who have been absent to visit their teachers during Regents Week Academic Support/Arts Open Studio sessions.
Clarification on CR Selection
The NYCDOE has determined that as students and families continue to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and manage other out-of-school challenges, parents/guardians will continue to have the option to replace their students’ passing final grades with “CR” (credit) to avoid penalizing students for a drop in performance for factors beyond their control. An updated link for 2021-2022 Fall Semester grades will be shared with families who would like to choose CR.
Distribution of At-Home Testing Kits to All Students
Until further notice, we will continue to provide all students and faculty/staff two At-Home Testing Kits at the start of each week. Distribution of the Testing Kits for students is in the lobby at the end of periods 8, 9, and 10. Out of an abundance of caution, all community members are urged to test on Mondays and Thursdays each week, as per DOE guidance for individuals with multi-exposures.
Distribution of At-Home Testing Kits to All NYC Residents
Every home in the United States is eligible to order 4 free At-Home COVID-19 tests. The tests are completely free. Orders will usually ship in 7-12 days. https://www.covidtests.gov/
Isolation is 10 Days for Students Who Test Positive
The current DOE policy, created in collaboration with the DOHM and T2 Corps, is that students who test positive isolate for 10 days. The day the test was taken is considered Day 0 for counting purposes. This is different from the policy for faculty/staff, who isolate for 5 days.
When Is It Safe to Return to the School Building?
Any student who has tested positive for COVID-19 can return to school only after:
- Isolating for 10 days AND
- Being fever-free for 24 hours without the use of medication AND
- Is experiencing overall improvement in symptoms
Last week the DOE selected 50 dividuals to test last week (2% of the school). Of these individuals, 1 tested positive (2% of those tested).
Since returning from Winter Recess, we have received 415 reports of positive COVID-19 cases (16% of the school).
Please continue to contact COVID@laguardiahs.org to update us on any positive cases of COVID-19. DOE schools must report all cases to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and Testing + Tracing Corps.
Thank you for your continued flexibility and understanding as we work our way through this surge as a community.